Friday, November 12, 2004

Stopped at Sports Authority on the way home to check out the Under Armour Cold Gear shirt. This garment has interested me for a couple years but I had never really looked at one. Putting my hand inside while it was on the race I could feel the warmth. After some thinking I figured I would give one a try. If it didn't work at least I would have satisfied my curiosity.

Buying the new shirt was a good excuse to get on the fixed gear for a half hour and see how the shirt feels while getting more accustomed to the bike. The temperature was upper 40's. Officially it was 49 at the airport. I wore the Under Armour along with a standard jersey. A half hour is not a long enough time to give a full appraisal of the shirts performance but I was comfortably warm without overheating and or being too cold. Tomorrow I will wear it again for a better idea of the job it does. Right now, I am satisfied.

The ride went well, too. More and more I get comfortable with always pedaling. Making turns is the toughest time to not coast. It's habit. Also, since you have to pedal through the turn you must be careful to not turn too sharply and grind a pedal into the pavement. I also tried to avoid using the brakes and just use force on the pedals to slow me down. For the most part it works well but I'm glad to have the brake there when its needed. Braking is another time you tend to try and coast. It's unnatural to keep pedaling while braking.

Still, it was a fun ride but I really need to dial in my position. The saddle is too low and too far aft. A short ride like today is not a problem but a long would not be good with the way the bike is set up right now.

News Item of the Day: Six time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong has expressed a desire to drive a Formula One car following a training ride with Australian F1 driver Mark Webber. A big fan of Armstrong, Webber met Lance in Texas recently and the two were training together when Armstrong popped the question: "He said he wanted to drive the car himself rather than be a passenger," said Webber on the BMW-Williams website. "I told him I wasn't sure if it was possible but I'd look into it."

Webber also relished the opportunity to ride with the Tour champion. "As everyone knows, Lance is a phenomenally fit guy and it was amazing to be cycling alongside him and chatting, although my breaths soon got shorter and shorter, as did my answers to his questions," said Webber.

Viewpoint: You're certainly not alone Mark.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

Never heard of those shirts before. It might be good on my cold morning commutes to work (like yesterday).

Wow, that's cool. Would love to see if Armstrong could get his F1 time down to something repectable for a non-racer. Letting him have a try at the US GP next year would be great. I might even go back and see it again if he would do it.

Weber is one cool dude pilot. He's going to have his best shot of his career with Williams next year. If they get a decent car designed.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home