Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tested the leg again tonight but this time on my 'dale. The strange feeling I had yesterday was still there but definitely different than the pain that I have been experiencing. This feels like a ligament is slightly out of place and getting tweaked a little at times. Out of the saddle I have no problems. Only when the knee goes past a certain position does it "rub". Maybe with more stretching it will pop back into place.

News Item of the Day: Italian cyclist Alessio Galletti died after passing out on a climb in a race in the northern Spanish region of Asturias on Wednesday.

The 37-year-old, who rode for the Naturino-Sapore di Mare team, had difficulties breathing while riding up to the Alto de La Manzaneda peak about 15 km from the finish of the annual race that ends with an ascent of the Naranco mountain near Oviedo. "Alessio was riding in a group that was a little behind us and he was saying that his chest was causing him some pain," team mate Mario de Sarraga told Spanish national radio (RNE). "Suddenly when we were climbing he stopped and said his chest was hurting him a lot. He passed out there on the road and we stopped and did all that we could to help him until the ambulance arrived." Local media reported that Galletti was attended to by medical staff before being taken to hospital in Oviedo but was dead on arrival.

Galletti, who was born in the Italian city of Pisa, turned professional in 1994. He had competed in the Giro d'Italia, finishing 73rd in 1996 and 89th in 2004, and his professional victories included winning the Fred Mengoni Grand Prix in 2003 and a stage in the Tour Down Under in Australia in 2001.

Viewpoint: When I first read the headline that Galletti had died I surprised but the name didn't register in my mind until I saw his picture. Immediately I knew who he was. He took part in the '04 Tour of Georgia. He had a very distinctive look with his longish blonde hair. He was so memorable because while I was taking pictures of the early riders in the TT he slowly rolled right by me next to the curb. I snapped a quick picture of him (who's that guy in the background?). This is how I remember Alessio Galletti.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally remember him as well. The thing that I thought when I saw him though was the very puffy face he had. I know steroids have a tendency to do that, and that was my initial impression.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home