Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A very average Tues Nite race, this evening. The race started more slowly tonight and I was not complaining. As it was, my chest felt cold to start and made my breathing a little labored. I sat on the back and hoped to start feeling better. Fifteen minutes went by before I felt capable of moving up to mid-pack. Thirty minutes in I went up the hill good and passed most of the pack. At the top, I just kept on going and went to the front to try and lift the pace. Since I threaten no one, the pack let me roll right off the front solo. Thanks a lot. They came back to me by the time the hill came back around. I kept good position to the top of the hill but felt a little gassed and drifted all the way back again. From then on, the race was just sitting in as best I could and waiting for the last lap which was very routine.

Speaking of routine, one of my routines after A Tues Nite race is to listen to the Cardinals on the drive home. A few times a year, Mike Shannon graces the listening audience with his unique observations. As anyone who listens to the Cardinals broadcasts knows, Mike is not as linguistically gifted as Vin Scully, for instance. Tonight Mike tried to paint an image in the listeners mind about the scene at the ballpark. When Mike paints a verbal image it more closely resembles the crayon scribblings typically found on a refrigerator than it does a Rembrandt. Consider tonight's comments.

Mike mentioned how there was a sea of red in the stands, with the Gateway Arch in the background and the Old Capital with its flag extended in the blowing wind. When I first made his comments they went in one ear and out the other. Then he added that added that "quite a signifcant Old Capital it is" Old Capital??? In downtown St Louis??? Uhhh, Mike that building is the Old Courthouse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home