Sunday, June 01, 2008

The O'Fallon Grand Prix took place yesterday. My form has been awful but I wanted to race for a couple reasons. One, it was a new race and it should get support. Two, the course was interesting to me. Three, for a change my attitude toward racing was somwhat upbeat for a change.

The temps were warm and a breezy and a good crowd seemed to be gathering in the two good-sized parking lots. These first time promoters seemed to have their act together. Registration was in a nice church hall. People selling food. Lots of cops milling around. All the lead and wheel vehicles lined in front of the church. The only thing left was how they did with a course that was long with many turns.

They did well there, as well. Markings letting us know of approaching turns. Mile markers lined the road. Corner marshals at all of the 3,612 turns.

Unfortunately, only about 20 Cat 3s showed up. It looked like even fewer 1s and 2s. Very disappointing. Tulsa Tough was this weekend but how many folks go down there? It has never been many in the past. The low turnouts resulted in a combined 1,2,3 field. Just what a guy with suspect needs.

As far as how the went for me, I got nice tan. I am not totally disappointed. There was some progress in how I felt and if the race was just our category, I feel I would have lasted longer.
----------------

The highlight of the ride over to O'Fallon had to be the large delivery truck that could be seen from I-255. The side of the truck was handpainted with BIG lettering so it could be seen from the highway. I looked to my right and there it was. The painter's announcement to the world that he/she is a dimwit. The sign read "Fother's Day Gifts"

Say what?

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

I was hoping we could work together at the race to grind out the last fifty miles at a steady tempo. You were smart enough to know that, that would be really painful.

I think you would have been top 10 in a cat 3 only race. Your climbing was very strong and you rode well alone.

I guarantee you, there is no cat 3 out there that can attack on a climb like Zach Reed did early in the race.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home