Friday, November 19, 2004

I raided my CX bike today and took off the saddle and post to see if it would fit on the fixed gear. Bingo! It's the same diameter post. This post is not quite long enough either but it is longer than what was on the bike.

The anticipation has gotten the best of me and I plan on using the fixed gear on the team ride tomorrow morning. I just have to ride the darn thing. It's been hanging from the ceiling teasing me. I have a fear that my legs will be wasted after the ride and my race Sunday will suffer as a result but frankly I don't care. The new toy needs to be played with.

Often I go through life, one day after another, and my surroundings go unnoticed. I suppose it's a familiarity with what's around and you just pass by. Once in a while though, something is different and you become keenly aware.

Today I had one of those moments. I wake up early for work every morning. After crawling out of bed and dressing I walked outside to get the newspaper and that is when it hit me. Or maybe it was what didn't hit me. The door opened and what greeted me was... quiet. Almost complete quiet. Why? Usually there is some background noise. It may be cars on the highway, a train on the railroad a mile or so away, a bird chirping. But today was quiet. Maybe the wind was blowing just right or traffic was light for some unknown reason but everything was still. Before I got off the porch the quiet struck and stopped me in my tracks and stood for a few seconds to soak up the serenity before getting on with my day.

News Item of the Day: Ex- world champion Igor Astarloa will not be a part of the Lampre team that has merged with Saeco to join the UCI ProTour.

The news starts with the statement by the CSC team director, Bjarne Riis, that the Spanish rider has been offered a chance to ride for him, although it would need the support of more sponsors.

"I thought that Astarloa would follow in the new team created after megring the Saeco and Lampre, but it is not so. He would be a very interesting cyclist, and I believe that he would fit perfectly in CSC, but we do not have money to pay to him, unless new possibilities arise ", Riis stated today in the newspaper "Politiken".

The Danish director also indicated that they had offered jobs to Latvian Roman Vansteins and the American Floyd Landis, who has suspicion surrounding his team, the Swiss Phonak team of Alvaro Pino.

The CSC team, in which Spaniards Carlos Sastre and Manuel Calvente rides, wants to sign two more cyclists for a total of 28 riders before next day Tuesday, when the team meets to begin training.

Viewpoint: Bjarne is always in the news going after some new rider. When Ullrich was embroiled in trouble with Telekom he was saying how he wanted Ullrich. Then Coast had its difficulties and I seem to recall Riis again saying that Ullrich should join. He seems to be in the news more than any other D.S. expressing who he would like to have on the team. That's more of an observation that a complaint. I tend to look at his actions as a way of putting his team in the spotlight for sponsors not unlike those poor saps who are sent out in the first kilometers of a race to get TV exposure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home