Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Last night I remembered having some Tiger Balm in my bike bag so I rubbed that on my thigh. Did it help? Maybe a little. This morning it was less sore than Tuesday night. Another night's rest might be just as likely a reason for the improvement but I think the Tiger Balm helped a little. Tonight, I think I will put a little more on. But first I am going to spin for a half hour on the trainer. Nothing hard. I just want to try and loosen up the muscle a little.

News Item of the Day: Australian Formula One driver Mark Webber plans to get together with six-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong for a spot of winter training. According to the website of his Williams team, Webber will travel to Texas some time during the next few months to train with Armstrong. Webber is a keen cyclist who regularly takes part in endurance mountain bike events and triathlons. He and Armstrong met at this year's Tour de France and have kept in touch since.

"I admire people that can do things that I can't do," said Webber, "I don't have many racing drivers as heroes because they do things that I can do, in a sort of way, so I don't really look up to them. I look up to Lance because of what he has gone through."

Despite being considered one of the fittest drivers on the Formula One circuit, Webber is under no illusions about his condition compared to that of a top pro cyclist, and expects riding with Armstrong to be no picnic. "I don't suppose I'll be leading him home," he said.

Viewpoint: I wonder if Lance laughs to himself a little when an average joe (even if they are fit) has the opportunity to ride with him. You know the other person is more than likely going to try and push themselves more than usual. Even so, Lance could probably ride away from them in a moments notice. What a feeling that must be.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

Weber may not be your average Joe. Those guys have to have some aerobic condition to race the cars. They are experienceing several G's of later force in many of the turns so it does get tiring and I have read where drivers have lost a position late in the race due to physical fatigue. I think it was last year that Frank Williams got on JP Montoya's case for being out of shape. He said he could here him breathing over the radio.

It was interesting to hear Weber say that cycling helps give some strength to the lower back.

Anyway, I hope your leg gets better soon!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I didn't mean to imply that Webber is an average joe on the bike. The story made clear that Webber is a frequent cyclist. I meant people like those who Lance might come across out for a sunday ride. Although, there is a good chance they wouldn't even recognize him. Maybe I do mean somebody like Webber or a so-so racer like myself. Someone who knows they are a decent rider and try to keep up. I don't diminish Webber's ability. F1 racing is very difficult. The fact remains however that Webber is no match for Lance on a bike. He admits it himself in the story.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home