Sunday, October 24, 2004

Today's race at Sioux Passage went much better. Choosing the B race was the right move. We started on a grassy uphill. It was only a short distance but those that started out running that part got the quick start and I was only a couple spots from the back. We went along pavement for a couple hundred feet and did a 180 and up the other side of the road. I accelerated here and made up several positions to around 8th. Then it was another 180 onto the grass followed by 3 barriers where I got another spot or two.followed by a series of 4 turns that snake down a hill. Jose crashed on the last of the turns I picked up another spot. Straight for a couple hundred feet and then a 180 onto a gravel road, then right onto the grass again diving to the lowest part of the course where I made another move. Two-thirds through the first lap and I found myself in fifth. We worked our way back up to the finish line I felt good and was shifting wisely.

On the second lap another rider crashed where Jose had and I was in fourth. From then on the race had settled down I found myself in a battle with a Mack rider and a mountain biker. We third place several times. As the race neared the last few laps I faded some and found myself in fifth, but Craig in sixth place was not making any ground.

Fifth place is a good result and gave me some confidence for future weeks. Maybe I'll give the A's a shot again in a couple weeks.

News Item of the Day: MADRID, Oct 24 (Reuters) - Highly rated Spanish cyclist Alejandro Valverde, who finished fourth in this year's Tour of Spain, has agreed to join the Illes Balears outfit next season, the team's sponsors said on Sunday.

The 24-year-old, who won a silver medal in the world championships and came third in the Tour of Spain in 2003, has ridden for the Kelme team for the last three seasons.

Illes Balears are one of the four Spanish teams that have been admitted to next season's Pro Tour in which an elite group will compete in a 30-race calendar with the aim of gaining increased media exposure for the sport.

Viewpoint: Valverde and Cunego are currently the two biggest young talents on the circuit today. Cunego is probably a little better climber, Valverde slightly faster in a finish but both are great talents. It's good to see him get out of a bad situation in Kelme.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

Good work in the race. How did this course compare with Faust Park? More difficult or less?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sioux Passage has a little more elevation change so its tougher that way. The good thing this week was they made the course wider and allowed the off-camber stuff to be more manageable without scrubbing so much speed, so it was easier in that respect. There was more pavement at Sioux too. It was a fun course.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home