Thursday, October 14, 2004

A really crappy day of cold rain. I really should hop on the trainer and do some work. My heart is not in it though. Tomorrow, though, I must do some work on the bike.

Three days until the first CX race of the year.

News Item of the Day: Ludo Dierckxsens (Landbouwkrediet-Colnago) is celebrating his 40th birthday today. The Belgian pro cyclist is nearly the oldest rider in the peloton, topped only by Mario Cipollini's roommate and lead out man Mario Scirea, who turned 40 on August 7, 2004. Dierckxsens wants to continue racing in 2005, mainly for his two children, 7-week old twins Mauro and Xander.

"I want to win at least one other race for them," said the proud father, feeling up to the challenge. Asked if his legs would still be fast enough, he replied, "What do you hear of the riders that quit cycling? Nine out of ten are physically capable of continuing, but can't provide the mental strength to get out and train every day, and then ride the same races all over again next season. After 15, 16 years of professional cycling they're tired mentally. But I'm not," said the Belgian, whose only problem is a missing contract for next year. "But that'll be fine," he says. "Of course it's easier to find a team when you're 29 instead of 40, but my manager is working hard on it, and I will know more at the end of next week. It's not very pleasant to wait, but I'm not the only one."

Viewpoint: I like Ludo. He is a tough, old, grizzled guy that never shirks work. He's never been a big winner but he has a big heart and a love for the sport. Happy Birthday Ludo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

Oh I just noticed your viewpoint at the end of the news section. That's cool. Maybe you could put the news text in a different color just to show that it's a quote and the viewpoint would stand out more. Just a suggestion.

I did a strength workout yesterday morning with resistance bands and swiss ball. Overslept today because of the baseball game last night so I didn't ride in. Maybe I can get a little practice in tonight.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for the thoughts on the blog layout. I might do something like that. There are a few things I'd like to change or add but just have to sit down and do it.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home