Monday, October 04, 2004

Team meeting tonight so it is a rest day. Former local junior rider Alex Boyd rode in the Junior World Championships over the weekend in Verona, Italy. No details yet other than the fact that he did not finish. There was a crash very early in the race involving an American and I tend to believe it was Alex.

Now I can always brag that I often a beat someone who participated in the UCI World Championships. Dang, I'm good.

News Item of the Day The most consistent rider in cycling, Erik Zabel (Germany), once again had to settle for a second place as he was beaten by Oscar Freire in the final sprint of the Elite Men's Road Race in Verona yesterday. It was Zabel's best result in a World Championship, but his 18th second place of the year, a statistic that he actually bettered five years ago. "18 second places, yeah it's true!" said Zabel to T-Mobile's website. "It still doesn't beat my record from 1999. I had 21 second places that year. I have only one or two races left this season, so it looks like that record is safe for another year!"

Although he was in tears shortly after the finish, in the end Zabel was happy with the silver. "I am extremely pleased with how things went for me here today," he said. "I had a good day...The silver medal is a great result for us. Maybe also it will return me to the number one spot on the UCI world rankings."

Zabel had three teammates in the final selection: Steffen Wesemann, Matthias Kessler and Danilo Hondo. Although Hondo is also a good sprinter, the pair agreed that he would ride for Zabel. "Before the race I had a good discussion with Danilo and he had already agreed to ride for me, if the race unfolded like it did. So I am very thankful to him and the rest of the team."

Zabel was agonisingly close to the rainbow jersey again, but had to admit that "an exceptional rider in Oscar Freire beat me on the day. I am very happy with a silver medal. Second is my best ever placing at a World Championships or Olympic Games. If I had missed out on a top three placing, then I would have been disappointed. But the whole team put in such good work that this silver was well deserved. Every one of us fought tooth and nail for that silver medal."

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

I like the look of the blog much better. Keep it up. It's nice to get some insights into how you structure your training. I use trainingbible.com for my training notes other than my race reports which are on my blog.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home