Sunday, October 03, 2004

Went to Castlewood today and met up with Jay, Mark and Peder. We rode the river trail out to Glencoe and back. Jay and I went up the stairs to the top of Lone Wolf while Peder and Mark rode back to the car to inflate and tire and then ride up Lone Wolf. All four of went down the backside. It is much rougher this year than last. More stumps, logs and rocks.

We were out riding for a little under two hours and while we were certainly going quick and times I never felt terribly stressed and afterward was feeling fresh. I can't believe I'm in that good of shape.

I'm a little concerned about my thighs. The last time I ran I mentioned how they felt really bad for the first half lap. They still feel very tight. When I dismount and run a little I feel them pulling. The next few days I think I should concentrate on trying to stretch them out regularly and make a decision whether or not to run this week at all. I really don't want to pull a muscle right now.

News Item of the Day VERONA, Italy (AP) -- Spain's Oscar Freire won the road race at the cycling world championships for the third time Sunday in a sprint finish.

He joined Belgium's Eddy Merckx and Rik Van Steenbergen and Italy's Alfredo Binda as the only three-time winners.

Germany's Erik Zabel was second and Italy's Luca Paolini third in the 164.6-mile race in the hometown of Romeo and Juliet. Freire completed 18 laps, including the renowned Torricelle climb, in 6 hours, 57 minutes, 15 seconds, with Zabel and Paolini given the same time.

Freire won his first world title on this same course in 1999 and his second gold medal was in 2001 in Lisbon, Portugal.

``I think five years ago is still my most beautiful victory,'' Freire said. ``We had a little luck with Bettini today.''

Olympic gold medalist Paolo Bettini of Italy quit in the 15th lap after injuring his knee in an accident with his team car. Bettini and Freire were the favorites in a race that lived up to its expectations of a battle between the powerhouse Spanish and Italian teams.

Without Bettini, 2004 Giro d'Italia winner Damiano Cunego became Italy's lead rider. Cunego and Ivan Basso, the Italian who finished third in the Tour de France, vied with Freire and teammate Alejandro Valverde, the Netherlands' Michael Boogerd and Australia's Stuart O'Grady on the final climb.

The six riders held a lead at the top of the climb. Several others caught up on the high-speed descent, and Freire was set up by Valverde in the final sprint on the long, straight finish. Valverde was fourth in the Spanish Vuelta a week earlier.

``I just took Valverde's wheel and I did a perfect sprint with a perfect teammate,'' Freire said. ``I spoke with Valverde five laps before the finish, and he said he felt good and I told him I was feeling good and we decided to work together in the finale.''

O'Grady and fellow Australian Allan Davis finished fourth and fifth and Valverde was sixth. Cunego came in ninth, with Basso 11th. The top 15 riders each received the same time.

Freire mentioned nearly every teammate for pushing so hard on the front of the pack throughout the second half of the race.

``This team is not just me,'' Freire said. ``Valverde could also have won today. He provided an excellent lead.''

Freire also won the opening World Cup classic Milan-San Remo race and a stage in the Vuelta this year while riding for his Dutch trade team Rabobank. He could become the first four-time gold medalist when the worlds are held in Spain next year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

Nice training blog. Do I know you?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

You sure do, Bobber

4:27 PM  
Blogger Bobber said...

I have background in yoga. If you would like some stretching ideas, let me know. Also, this guy has some good stuff.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Normally I do a fair amout of stretching through the day. Lately, I have neglected it though. I'll check out the website when I have some time, though.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home