Thursday, September 23, 2004

I decided not to ride today. Instead I cleaned my 'cross bike of last years crud. Tomorrow I run another half mile.

News Item of the Day Tom Danielson has confirmed rumours that he will ride for the Discovery Channel team (currently know as US Postal) in 2005. "I've signed the letter of intent to ride for two years with Discovery, which is basically the same as signing the new contract," Danielson told Cyclingnews. "I'm out of my existing contract with Fassa - we came to an agreement and that's how it is. I don't have any hard feelings against them at all, and I thank them a lot for everything they have taught me this year."

After dominating US domestic racing in 2003 with Saturn, Danielson moved to Italy in 2004 to ride for Fassa Bortolo, but - while the affable Coloradan is too polite to criticise his current employers - it's clear the experience hasn't lived up to his expectations. Danielson had hoped to ride the Tour de France, and when that didn't materialize was told by the team he would be sent to the Vuelta. But he was not named to Fassa's Vuelta squad, with the team apparently preferring to concentrate on supporting Alessandro Petacchi to stage victories than go after a general classification or mountains placing.

Danielson therefore jumped at the chance to go the team of six-time Tour de France winner lance Armstrong.

"Johan Bruyneel and Discovery came to me in August with the dream," said Danielson. "I was more than excited by it, and the first time I got off the phone I told myself that I needed to make this happen, even though it might not be the easiest thing. But with Johan Bruyneel, Dirk Demol, Sean Yates and of course Lance Armstrong... the whole infrastructure of the team, it all became clear to me that this was where I wanted to go."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home