Monday, April 12, 2004

Sunday was chilly to start and I began the day with no real idea whether i would ride or not since it was Easter. The early morning was spent following Paris-Roubaix on the net until the last 30k. I wanted to watch the rest of the race on OLN later in the day. The race was a little strange having close to 40 riders still together until the last few sections of cobble. Hincapie was isolated again this with several teams that had at least 4 riders. Nonetheless he made a nice move in the closing stages to get in a break with Boonen and Flecha. I thought Quck-Step might control things in the peloton with Boonen up front but it came back together and Museeuw made the decisive move in the end with only 4 others able to follow. None were big pre-race favorites however. Luck wasn't with Johan though as he flatted on the pentultimate pave sector. The remaining four stayed together and decided the race in a sprint. Magnus Backstedt of Alessio prevailed in the end. PVP and Museeuw came across together with arms around each other. It was a nice scene as PVP let Museeuw pass just ahead in 5th place. Museeuw said he cried for 30 minutes afterward.

Just like the race heated up, so did the temperatures outside. It was near 50 and sunny and that was good enough for me. I slathered my legs with some warming balm, threw on some shoe covers and hit the road. Out of habit, I headed to Meramec Bottom, but soon turned around when it seemed fitting that on Paris-Roubaix day that I ride the cobbled climb up to the Fabick Property in Fenton. The road lets your mind drift off to Belgian fantasies as you climb it and is truly one of my favorites in St Louis.

I goofed around a bit but put in a couple decent efforts on the way back home, Specifically, a nice effort was made going up Old Gravois. The mile long climb seemed like a good test for this weekends hilly TT which has a climb of about a mile.

Today I rest. Not that I have been training hard. Tomorrow I do the Tuesday crits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home