Saturday, March 20, 2004

As forecasted, the roads were damp this morning and the skies were not welcoming. The radar however showed no rain to the west. Should I go? Should I not? My mind see-sawed back and forth and ultimately made the decision at 8:10 to go. At least the temperatures were moderate if the rains did come.

I got dressed and hit the road by 8:30 for the ride to Kirkwood. I like to leave a little more time for the ride but I kept a good pace and the Flat Tire gods were with me. The weather and my lack of an announcement of the ride kept attendance down and only Ted M and Bob W showed up. While we waited a Tri from our team, Greg M, showed up and asked if he could tag along. We headed through Valley Park and by 141 Greg was already hurting and begged off the rest of the ride in favor of riding at his own pace. I always like to see riders hang in and go through the ride but we must listen to what are body tells us. His training was just starting so it may have been best.

We did a nice loop of maybe 40 miles. By High Ridge, Bob was starting to lag some when the roads turned upward. He has been off the bike because of sickness for the last few weeks so that is to be expected I suppose. He really struggled once we got on Kennerly. He began to battle leg cramps and could not push much of a gear. Weber Hill and Rott Rd were a struggle for him. I felt pretty good today. Out of the saddle, I had a pretty good rhythm unlike past rides when I felt more comfortable in the saddle.

Ted was on his brand new Look KG486 with Dura-Ace 10-spd. A beautiful black bike with just a hint of the naked carbon fiber weave showing. This bike is very sexy with swooping lines and constantly changing tube shapes. If he had some Speedplays I would have hopped on for a quick spin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home