Friday, April 09, 2004

The last few weeks have seen the onset of spring and nice weather, yet I'm left with not much ambition to ride. Two, maybe three times a week I ride. I am frustrated that I feel this way because I have good form. But if I continue this my fitness will almost certainly go down the drain. Now that daylight savings time has started maybe the willingness to ride will grow. In the winter its hard for me to motivate right after work.

The Tuesday night training series started this week. Having the races back on the weekly schedule is good. It helps with that lack of training desire thing. The "A" race started badly. There was the usual high pace to start and I had another rider start drifting the pack a few mph's slower than the rest of us. Sure enough I found myself boxed behind them as they let a gap open up. Not wanting to panic, I tried tried to gradually bring back the pack with a couple others. After a lap, we were not closing in so I got out of the saddle to shut things down and recover. Just as we caught on to the back, another attack came and I was gapped again. I was pretty gassed and saw the race slipping away as the peloton eased away. I chased for two laps luckily they slowed up for a moment and I caught back on. The rest of the race was no problem until the last lap when some others sat up and let everyone get away again. No big deal, just bad positioning. I still felt good.

The "B" race started quickly as well. I use this race as extra miles at a pretty quick pace and just sit in. As we neared the end I moved up to mid-pack. Half a lap to go I started my move toward the front and moved nicely through the pack up the hill. On the final stretch I felt very strong and passed a couple more. If I hadn't had to stop pedaling for a second to avoid a spent rider, sixth or seventh may have been possible instead of eighth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home