Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Did the .75 mile run this evening. The first half lap was bad. I probably should have stretched or warmed up or something because my thighs felt like they were going to rip and then they settled down for the rest of the run. Total time was 4:46 as I continually slowed each lap. 1:23, 1:36 and 1:44. That was the fastest .5 mile yet but my stamina obviously is not there.

News Item of the Day BARDOLINO, Italy (AP) -- Australia's Michael Rogers won the elite-division time trial Wednesday at the road cycling World Championships, defending the title he was awarded earlier this month after 2003 winner David Millar of Britain was stripped of his gold medal for doping.

``It's much more satisfying to win fair and square from the start,'' Rogers said. ``I didn't want to finish second again, so I just pushed a little harder and it all came together. It's always better to win on the day.''

Before the race, a ceremony was held to present Rogers with the rainbow jersey for being the 2003 winner.

``I don't know how many people are awarded two medals in one day,'' he said.

Rogers completed the 28.99-mile course along the shores of Lake Garda in 57 minutes, 30.12 seconds. Michael Rich of Germany was second, 1 minute, 12.43 seconds behind. Alexandre Vinokourov of Kazakhstan came in third.

``I just put my head down and went as fast as I could,'' said Rogers, who dedicated the victory to a friend who died recently in an accident. ``My plan was to start relatively slow.''

Rogers finished fourth in the Olympic time trial in Athens, and still stands a small chance of being bumped up a spot in that race, too.

A doping investigation of gold medalist Tyler Hamilton of the United States was dropped, but Russia says it may appeal on behalf of silver medalist Viatcheslav Ekimov.

``I'm not really thinking about that at the moment, I'm just concentrating on Sunday now,'' Rogers said, referring to the road race in nearby Verona that will conclude the championships.

``In the case with Hamilton, I respect the decision of the Olympic Committee.''

Several top riders did not compete Wednesday.

Two-time world champion Jan Ullrich pulled out late due to a stomach illness, Lance Armstrong never planned to race, 2000 winner Sergiy Honchar of the Ukraine is injured and none of the medalists from the time trial at the Olympics -- Hamilton, Ekimov and Robert Julich -- showed up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home