Friday, May 27, 2005

I'm thinking I might submit some photos to Velonews Photo Contest. I'll have to wade through my photos and pick some out. Along those lines, it's a rest day so I'll post a pic.

The neo-classical gothic victorian post-modernist architecture that dots the landscape of the Tuesday Worlds course


This mornings pre-sunrise.


I'm thinking I might submit some photos to Velonews Photo Contest., I'll have to wade through my photos and pick some out.

Now for my rant of the day. It bugs the crap out of me when I read messageboards and people give the current leader of the Giro a nickname and call him "Salvo". His frickin' name Savoldelli, not Salvodelli, idiots. Now, if his nickname among the team truly is Salvo I will make a retraction. In the meantime, you are all idiots. Just like all those who looked at Hamilton and again Salvodelli this year as likely successors to Armstrong. Brilliant thinking! If only Hamilton were not older than Armstrong and "Salvo" only a year younger, it would be a fabulous plan.

News Item of the Day: Ivan Basso won stage 18 of the Giro d'Italia, brushing aside his rivals in the individual time-trial. The Italian clocked 45 minutes five seconds on a hilly 34km course from Chieri to Turin, nine seconds quicker than Russian Vladimir Karpets. It was Basso's second-straight stage win after he also prevailed in Limone Piemonte on Thursday. But compatriot Paolo Savoldelli kept the overall race lead after finishing fourth on Friday, 23 seconds adrift.

Basso tried to shrug off his disappointment at his lowly overall position after his latest win. "These two stage wins are a huge satisfaction but I don't want to think about what I could have done," he said. "You need a bit of luck to win major stage races and I didn't have it. "My only consolation is knowing that one day I can win the Giro."

Saturday's 190km stage takes the Giro riders from Savigliano to the ski resort of Sestriere. It is the last mountain stage and will very likely decide the winner ahead of Sunday's final flat stage to Milan.

Viewpoint: Karpets really impressed me last year at the Tour. He's young, a good time trialist and hangs pretty tough in the mountains. Give him a little seasoning and improve his climbing some and he's a potential Grand Tour winner.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

I think Eki and Zabel are likely successors...or maybe Larsen will make a return.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Bobber said...

How about Hinault? He hasn't raced in a while so he's probably very well rested and ready to go.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home