Saturday, May 21, 2005

This morning I gave the knee a test run. Thinking that the Speedplays and all of their float may not be the best for a tender knee, I decided to ride the fixed gear. Not only does it have the gears fixed but it has fixed LOOK pedals with zero rotation. I only rode 50-55 minutes around the neighborhood and chose a route that, for the most part, avoided any big hills. The results were good with only some slight twinges being felt.

Today gave me some confidence after a few days concern about my long-term prospects. Sunday I plan on another short test.

News Item of the Day: ORTISEI, Italy, May 21 (Reuters) - Italy's Ivan Basso lost the race lead in the Giro d'Italia after suffering stomach problems throughout the 218-km mountain stage from Mezzocorona to Ortise on Saturday. Basso finished 68 seconds behind compatriot Paolo Savoldelli and slipped to second place in the overall standings, 50 seconds down on Savoldelli. "I had stomach pains from the start of the stage and it was difficult to eat because I felt sick," said Basso. "To be honest the time I lost isn't that much considering I felt so bad."

Bjarne Riis, team director of Basso's CSC team, said: "Fortunately the team rode well all day and so we limited our losses. I think we can say we've been lucky." CSC media officer Brian Nygaard said Basso would start Sunday's 210-km mountain stage from Egan to Livigno but was unsure how he would perform. "Ivan managed to eat normally after the stage and his digestive system is back to normal but he has obviously suffered a lot," Nygaard said. "It could be difficult for Ivan tomorrow after the effort he made but he will definitely start the stage."

Basso began the Giro as one of the favourites for overall victory after finishing third behind Lance Armstrong in last year's Tour de France. He had taken the race leader's pink jersey on Thursday after finishing second on the mountain stage to Zoldo Alto.

Viewpoint: After Thursday's strong effort, I expected Basso to seize solid control of this race. Now, I suppose his entire race is in jeopardy if he does not recover well. Sunday's stage is not easy so, for his sake, I hope he does heal quickly. Savoldelli is looking good but now that he has the lead he has to be concerned with a total lack of teammates in the hills. This has been a terrific race so far. Let's hope the last week lives up to the past two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home