Thursday, June 16, 2005

I really dislike fresh chip and seal roads. The County street folks were kind of enough to bless Kerth Rd with the process today. I dont mind the roads once they get settled in that loose gravel is awful. And why do they feel the need to do the chip and seal EVERY year whether the road is in good condition, or not.

With that gripe out of the way I rode again today. This time for a little more than an hour. Since my leg problems have occured mainly when going uphill I tested the leg today by taking the hilly subdivisions down to Meramec Bottom and on the way back added in a trip up Hagemann and 3x's in and out of Suson Park. Today was better than yesterday, even with the harder terrain, so progress is being made.

Also, I got a list of the hotels we will be in while in France. Looking at the websites, the only one that mentions internet is the last night. If the hotel in Lourdes does not have internet perhaps I can sneak over to last years hotel and "borrow" their computer once or twice.

News Item of the Day: Chris Horner won the sixth stage of the Tour of Switzerland, as Australia's Michael Rogers took the yellow jersey. Saunier Duval rider Horner broke away in the final climb to Arosa to come in 1min 12secs ahead of Italian Vincenzo Nibali. Rogers was third (1min 14secs).

The Australian took the overall race lead from Germany's Jan Ullrich, who finished in a group over 30secs behind. Quick Step's Rogers now has a 20-second lead on Ullrich with Australian Bradley McGee in third at 22secs. "I was riding to win the stage or take the race lead so it was a good day for me," said Rogers.

Triumphant Horner, meanwhile, was delighted with his first major stage win in Europe. "I'm very, very happy to have finally won a big race in Europe," he said. "I raced in the French Francaise des Jeux team for three years in the 1990s but never won a race."

Viewpoint: I'm no fan of Horner but I'll give him credit for a nice race today. He was aggressive and earned the win with his hard work. Ullrich's difficulty on the final climb is interesting. He was very strong in the TT but he seems to have room for improvement in the mountains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home