Thursday, April 19, 2007

The whole incident in Blacksburg a few days ago was terrible and senseless. The only bright spot being the guy off'd himself so we don't have to go through a trial and having him sit in jail forever. That having been said, let me preface my next statement by saying I'm not a heartless guy. I feel for the families who lost family members. Why, though, are so many other universities around the country (SLU and Wash U locally) having memorials? What purpose does that serve? There is no connection to Va Tech other than being another school and that is not a good reason in my view. I just don't understand.
------------
Just after leaving work today I turned onto the Rock Rd. I looked back to make sure no cars were coming and noticed at least two cop cars with flashing lights blocking half the road and the traffic backed up as a result. No one was behind me so I eased off the gas pedal to see what the story was, assuming it was an accident of some sort. Much to my surprise, as I turned around to look, a guy had his hands in the air and was dropping to his knees with a cop pointing a gun at him. Yikes! I stepped back on the gas pedal.
------------
The Stelvio continues to have a steady stream of temperatures in the 40's and the snow melt is going good. In recent days there have been footprints in the snow, tire tracks from some type of vehicle and even a tiny patch of the road became visible Wednesday. The BIG news though, came today. The road at the summit was plowed today. It didnt seem to extend down the mountain at all but a 200 ft or so stretch of the road was cleared of snow. Excellent.

Just over a month before we leave for Italy and about six weeks until we will be riding over this same road.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

When I was on the shop ride on Sat morning, there was a guy being pulled out of his car by a cop for we surmised to be a sobriety test, and as he was walking away from his car, we rode by. He waved and said "Hey, how's it going?" to us. Ah, criminal, yet polite! ;)

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home