Friday, April 13, 2007

Put another notch in Mother Nature's belt for a cancelled/postponed race. Well, not really. Much like Froze Toes, my intuition and every forecast I read says there is no weather related reason to cancel. The conditions may not be pleasant Saturday but I seriously doubt it will be worthy of a cancellation. There is some talk of snow but with temperatures from the mid 30's to the low 40's it will be nothing but wet.

As I said at the time of Froze Toes, the promoter certainly has the right to cancel a race. There seems to be a trend, though, of being overly cautious and quick to cancel when forecasts point toward other conclusions. No big deal. This just gives more time to train.
----------------
There will be no cancellation of Paris-Roubaix this Sunday. I might as well make my picks right now. In no particular order...
Cancellara - I do think he will win
Boonen - He seems a bit off his game but certainly good enough to contend
Gusev - He's been strong and proved last year that he is capable at Roubaix
Hoste - Steady, strong and praying for a solo victory so he doesn't get nipped in yet another sprint.
Ballan - I like him more on a course that isn't so flat but he showed his form last weekend and did well last year.

Wouldn't be surprised by... Flecha, O'Grady, Eisel, Hammond

Sentimental picks: Wesemann, Michaelsen, Backstedt, Van Petegem and Franzoi

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You failed to mention Burghardt...

10:06 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I considered Burghardt but my hunch is that a first-timer is going to struggle at Roubaix. I think he is a first timer.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he was 22nd last year, and he seems to have greatly improved this year. But I still wouldn't count him as a major favorite.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home