Monday, February 11, 2008

Weekend Wrapup: By Friday my muscle soreness had "improved" to the point of being able to do a half squat and gingerly go down steps with the help of a handrail. That was good enough for me to try and do the Saturday ride.

I had no idea what to expect but hoped to get even a short ride under my belt. Giuseppe and Marco showed some mercy toward me and stayed away from the hills. From the moment we started rolling, every pedal stroke brought discomfort. Every single one was bone gripping tightness. I gritted my teeth and soldiered onward towards Maeystown.

Getting out of the saddle to pedal was completely out of the question. I planted my arse in a poorly adjusted saddle and spun as good a gear as I could turn over. This was no masterpiece of ride but I did okay and tried to take a fair share of turns at the front. Riding back into the parking lot was a moral victory.

Sunday I gave my legs a chance to recover and they responded nicely. My flexibility showed marked improvement and I was actually able to jump. Well... jump may be a generous description but there was air between the soles of my feet and terra firma. There is still some tightness but I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
-----------------------

The winter cannot end soon enough. Messageboards that I frequent to kill time are mind numbingly boring these days. The mid-winter doldrums have set in. The posts range from political talk on one forum to complaining about drivers on another. And don't forget to wear your helmet....zzzzz!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,
After the Thursday plyo class, I am just now (monday) able to walk upright. Soreness doesn't even effectively describe the feeling in the quads!~ Don't know how you managed Saturday's ride...

Gina~

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ironically, the plometrics should be especially good for getting out of the saddle...and sprinting?
what are your thoughts?

why dont you start a plyometrics thread?

rudy

3:01 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Gina, it took me four days to walk halfway normal so I would say you are healing at right about the same pace I did. I only managed Saturday's ride because it was flat.

Rudy, I firmly believe that plyo would be great for improving a sprint. Climbing, maybe. At least in terms of short accelerations. I would like to start doing the plyo right after CX ends and give the body time to adjust before the road season starts.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home