Monday, May 12, 2008

Sunday I woke up feeling sluggish.  After eating breakfast, my body like it had been whipped mercilessly by a dozen wet rotini noodles.  For all the world, I felt like I was coming down with a whopper of a cold.  The weather was crappy outside so at least I didn't feel bad for not going out and riding.  I laid down and tried to rest my body.  Then at 11am, the lights went out.  Earlier in the morning there was a very brief power blip but all was well.  Not this time.  We had been having strong winds all morning so a tree branch must have succumbed to the gusts and knocked down a power line.

There has been a disturbing trend with the last three major power outages that I have encountered.  Each time, it corresponds to a cycling related event that I ended up missing.  Back in July '06, the power went out the day before Floyd Landis's dramatic stage win.  Doping issues aside, that was a very dramatic stage that I never have seen.  Power remained off for 48 hrs.  Then, in Dec '06, I was scheduled to leave the cyclocross state championships when we had a massive ice and snow storm that knocked out power for 36 hrs. 
 
That brings us to yesterday when I was really looking forward to watching the first Sunday of Versus' coverage of the Giro d'Italia.  Stage 2 looked to be a stage with the potential for an exciting, short uphill finsh.  Once again, power issues foiled me when the lights went out at 11am. 
 
As of this morning, when I left for work, the power had been out for 18 hours.  Next Sunday is a boring flat stage in the Giro.  I guarantee, there will be no electrical issues for that snooze-fest.  All I ask is that there be no problems two Sundays from now, when race finishes atop Passo Fedaia at the end of a brutal stage.


With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home