Monday, May 05, 2008

There was a time not all that long ago that I actually knew how to race a crit. Those days seem long gone.

Giuseppe and I drove out to Washington Sunday for the "new" crit. Most of the course was part of last years circuit race so it was not entirely new. The main difference being a short, steep uphill that followed a winding descent. After a few practice laps I was not sure if I would like the course or not. It seemed pretty evident that you didn't want to get caught at the back of the pack as the pack strung out before the two hills.

Realizing this, I snagged a decent 2nd row spot at the line. The guys around me didn't exactly take off like rockets and neither did I. Five seconds into the race and there I was, virtually at the back of the pack, chasing. I went up the hill fine but things strung out up top, then down the hill and chase, chase, chase up the second hill. At that point, I had a chance to move up some and I didn't seize the opportunity and chose to catch my breath a little. Down the winding descent and the pack strung out again.... repeat the last lap. The last straw was getting cut off at the top of the short climb on lap four by he who wears yellow and white and then having to chase even more than the previous laps.

That was all there was to the day. Short and not so sweet. I rolled around and did a lap of last years course before heading back to the car and changing clothes. I grabbed the camera for some moving pictures and was headed to the course when I heard folks telling the officials there was a wreck. The pack came by one more time and then I looked across the lake and saw that the race had been neutralized with 5 to go as a cop car and an ambulance drove onto the course.

Unfortunately, the man down was frequent training partner Ken. Accounts from a few racers getting free laps were that it was an bloody scene and Ken didn't know where he was or what happened. After a lengthy stoppage, they ran out the final five laps. Eduardo snagged a decent 4th place and Giuseppe won a prime that he didn't even know about, but most people's thoughts were on Ken.

We stopped by the hospital on the way out of town. Ken was still in the emergency room but we were able to go in for a little while. His face was swollen, bloody and generally looked worse than any prizefighter that you can imagine after a fight.

He managed to avoid any serious injuries, thank goodness. But the healing, both physical and mental, will probably take a while to get over.

If I figure out this whole 'movies on the internet' thing I will upload the finish of the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home