Thursday, July 31, 2008

Last week the realization came that the CX season cannot come soon enough.  Well, not too soon.  I have no desire for 100 degree cross races.  My road season has been a worthwhile pile of bleep and I need something new to focus on.  While I won't completely skip the remaining races, my training focus is shifting toward getting ready for the 'cross season.  Then, last night, Jay calls me and says he bought a cross bike and is looking to practice a couple nights a week at local parks.  That works out beautifully.

Prior to yesterday I had not realized the State Crit Championship is this weekend.  For a variety of reasons I did not ride at all last week.  Even though I started riding again on Tuesday, I seriously question how wise it would be to bother racing this weekend.  Add the fact that the forecast is for 100 degree temps in Jeff City and my chances of racing are less than 50%.  Jimmy Schneider once said "Don't race unless you plan to win".  I am probably paraphrasing the actual quote but it was very similar.  I'm not ready to race/win right now so why waste the time and money?

And speaking of money, I had my car in the shop Friday, Saturday and Tuesday thanks to a failed emissions test.  My wallet is significantly lighter now.  After the initial failed test, the guy told me to drive the car for about 100 miles, after having repairs done, before having the test redone. 
 
The car went in for repairs on Tuesday afternoon and I took a day off work on Wednesday in case the repairs were not complete on Tuesday.  They were completed and I was told to bring the car back Saturday after driving it for a few days and have the emissions test redone.  That made sense and seemed to be what the original Mr. Emissions Tester told me. 
 
Since I had Wednesday off, I decided to go exploring roads with the possibility doing something different than the Ste Gen ride this year.  So, off I went on my magical drive of unknown roads.  After 4 hrs, 150 miles and 20 dollars of wasted gas, I stopped to have my car's emissions tested again.  That's when I was told that distance isn't what is needed.  Instead what is needed is 10 full driving cycles.  Great!  Thanks for telling me that the day before.  Oh well, it was a fun drive.

But, what could be more fun than the World Naked Bike Ride even that is scheduled for this fair city on August 2nd?  What better way to protest oil dependance and promote comfortable body image.  I never will understand the connection between oil dependance and body image and when I ask have never have gotten an explanation.  Personally, I dont think they give rat's arse about body image and instead use the naked aspect of the ride as an attention getter.  Whatever.  Let the do-gooders have their useless ride.


With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enter a triathlon dude. It will get your motivation back, and the chicks are extremely hot.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home