Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'm looking at the newly released parcours for the '09 Tour.  On first glance I am not terribly impressed.  The course may not be thrilling but it might provide for a close time gaps in the final GC.  Or, at least until Stage 20. 
 
The rumors of a Ventoux finish on the penultimate stage came true.  I like the new wrinkle of a mountaintop finish that late in the race to maintain some intrigue. 
 
The first mountain stage (stage 7) could be difficult.  The finishing climb to Arcalis is not brutal but pretty much the whole stage appears to gradually climb.  The 224km length could add to the difficulty as well. 
 
Stage 16 COULD be interesting.  Two big mountains with a mountain descent to the finish.  I wish I knew what the descent of the Petit Saint Bernard was like.  This stage reminds me a little of the Col de la Bonette stage this year that had guys bombing the descent to the finish line. 
 
Stage 17 looks like the queen stage to me with five climbs.  I would guess four of them will be Cat 1's and the other a Cat 2.

The team time trial has returned.  I like watching this event but must say that I really did not miss this stage the past couple years when it was not included. 
 
Surprisingly, the more southern portion of the French Alps are not included at all.  When is the last time the Tour did not pass use the Col du Galibier or Alpe d'Huez or Col d'Izoard or the Col du Glandon/Croix de Fer combo? 
 
This year's race had an interesting first week with some bumpy stages.  This year's first week hugs the Mediterranean coast and looks to be the typical snooze until the final sprint.  Cavendish must be licking his chops. 
 
The two remaining Pyrenean stages (excluding Stage 7) will not be easy but they have 44km and 70km after the final mountain summit.  Maintaining hard fought time gaps gained on the climb might be hard to do.


When your life is on the go—take your life with you. Try Windows Mobile® today

1 Comments:

Blogger Ted C. MacRae said...

First week could be very entertaining, with an ITT and TTT in the first 4 days, and that stage from Marseille - La Grande-Motte will be hot and bumpy - could be a shock to the systems.
I've had my fill of 1st week rain and cold cross-winds - that's what the spring classics are for. Let the hot days begin.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home