Sunday, October 12, 2008

All the regulars bailed on today's ride. Giuseppe must have been working all weekend. Then, on my way out to the ride Patrice calls to say he will not be riding. He also talked to Marco who decided to skip. Personally, I think they just wanted to stay home and watch the first round of the Superprestige from Ruddervoorde.

If I had not known that Davide was going to show up, I would have turned at that point and improvised a route rather than going all the way out to Kirkwood. Davide was already there and while I was waiting to cross Big Bend someone else pulled into the parking lot. It turned out to be Craig, so we ended up having a tidy little group.

Instead of heading into Jeffco, we decided to do the Bugman route. I seem to remember the Bugman going down Old State but maybe it changed over the years. Instead we cut through a subdivision that cuts through to Old 100. I was on that road once before but I have no clue of the name unless I look at a map. We turned right on Old 100 to go the gas station that is no more.

Foiled in our attempts to hydrate, we pushed onward back out Old 100, down Woods, up Melrose, etc. You know, there was a time not so long ago that I could actually climb reasonably well. Sometime during the last 1.5 years that skill seems to have vanished. I wasn't awful but the desire to suffer on a climb is lacking.

All in all, the ride turned out good. The temps were a little warmer than I cared for but it was a brisk 3hr ride, plus another 50 or so minutes to and from the ride. My legs feel like they have worked. Sixty seven miles

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted C. MacRae said...

Yep, we went down Old State - why anyone would want to skip that descent is beyond me, one of the funnest descents in St. Louis Co. We only diverted onto Old Fairway when temps were too cold to make the descent enjoyable.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, I think I put the "skipping Old State" part in to that ride, as I was tired of being part of a 10 rider roadblock going down a fast, curvy turn which was packed full of large vehicles hauling arse, accompanied by a near 180 degree turn at the bottom followed by a 1/2 stretch of the fabulous 109. ;)

Anyhoo, send me your CoIL loop link and also who is Queen?

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home