Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I am late but some mention should be made of this past weekend's races. Saturday was our first local night race. Naturally, it was among the colder days of the season and, obviously, no sun to make things feel a little warmer. Still, the temps were bearable. My toes and fingers still went numb. Been there, done that. The worst part is when you stop racing.

The newly contructed stairs/ramp made their return. The good news is that it was a new and improved version with a longer platform up top. I wasn't going to complain about the previous version but 8' was just WAY too short. The newer 12' (I guess) was much more comfortable. The course was very flat. The terrain was not very inspiring but you work with what you are given. The course was still fun and allowed for small groups to form and have a little bit of tactical racing.

This was a fun race, mainly because of the large crowds that came out to watch the maniacs riding in the cold darkness and screaming crazily. My 13th place finish was about normal for this year.

Sunday's race was in the same location although it was changed a bit. We ran mostly in an opposite direction and the sand volleyball pit was swapped for some bumpy terrain on the north end of the area.

My start was so-so but I was my usual self and started picking riders off as the race progressed. I thought things were going pretty well when I kept Sven in sight. He gradually pulled away and I had a good battle with a Mack rider that people were calling Robo. I will find out who that is when I look at the results. He was good on the stairs and the pavement and I would reel him in on the remainder of the course. It made for a good battle and I give him credit for his aggressiveness. He was often out of the saddle trying to lift the pace.

Various other people moved in and out of our group. I remember Bob, at least that's what everybody was calling him, caught our group. At one point, he moved around me and was left to chase Robo's wheel. I saw the gap opening and had to speak up. I said something like "C'mon Bob. Stay with him". He promptly moved over and asked me to chase. Thanks a lot! Thankfully, I had enough to close the gap down.

I would have been pissed if Bob had just followed my wheel but he must have been hurting and did fall off the pace a bit. I never could quite chase down Robo and had to contend with an Effeto Coniglio rider making a late charge. There was no relaxing until the finish. That's okay in my book.

In the end, I thought I may gotten top 9 or 10 but surprised myself with a season-best seventh place.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home