Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Spinning

From approximately the beginning of November through February, I go to a Spinning class every Tuesday evening. While the class is technically a team event for my former team, quite a few Average Joe's seem to show up and take adavantage of the cheaper classes. I can't blame them. And, the more people that show up, the more money for the local company. That is a good thing.

The interesting thing about Spinning classes are the bikes. Particularly among those that do not race. I was looking at the others in class last night and was befuddled. Here, I was, an average sized male with my saddle raised about as close as I could get to my road bike's saddle height and the handlebars about the same height. The setup is not ideal but not bad.

On the other hand, average to smallish women were there with saddles that were MUCH lower than mine but the handlebars were jacked up about a foot higher than the saddle. I was fascinated. Even the bland hybrid type of bikes are not set up in this radical fashion. What would possibly make someone want to ride this way?

Just for the hell of it I did a Google search for "spinning" and it didn't take long to find a photo showing what I am talking about. Who would ride an actual bike like this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home