Saturday, December 25, 2004

Another day on the trainer not unlike yesterday. I went close to two hours today in similar gearing. This evening my legs felt fatigued so apparently I'm working pretty hard. I'm happy with where I am at this time of year. I could be a little lighter but that will melt away eventually.

News Item of the Day: As Christian Vandevelde gets set to embark on a new year and a new team at Team CSC, the 28 year-old from Lemont, IL, is looking to put a lacklustre year at Liberty Seguros behind him and find the form that saw him as one of the most valuable members of Lance Armstrong's 'Blue Train' in 1999, the year where the Texan won the first of six Tours de France.

"To put the last two years behind me and race to my full potential," said Vandevelde on Team CSC's website, team-csc.com, when asked about his ambitions for 2005. "I am looking forward to the Giro and of course the classics before them. The team atmosphere seems great, and I'm excited to be a part of it."

Describing CSC as "the team of the decade", Vandevelde is clearly excited about his opportunity to ride under the service of Danish team manager Bjarne Riis, who has demonstrated a knack of taking riders back to their full potential after a poor season (Julich), or extracting even more out of riders whose careers have plateaued (Ivan Basso, Tyler Hamilton, Jakob Piil, Carlos Sastre, Jens Voight). The core of CSC's success appears to lie in Riis' ability to motivate 'lost' riders to believe in themselves once more, and to unite team members towards a common goal. "I think that we all have silently admired what has taken place in that team over the last few years and now I will learn there secret first hand," Vandevelde said on his website,

Viewpoint: Now that Liberty is back to being the old ONCE squad, getting out of there was the best thing Christian could have done. He had no place on the Spanish dominated squad. Riis will do good things with him, I'm sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home