Sunday, January 02, 2005

My brother and family left town early this morning and gave me the opportunity to go to Columbia for the team ride. Temperatures were in the mid to upper 50's but there was a 50% chance of rain. Despite the wet roads from an overnight rain, the radar looked clear so I decided to ride and hope the rain stayed away until afternoon.

Surprisingly, no one else showed up despite waiting until 9:10. Maybe they were scared away by the threatening skies. I like having others along but I looked at this as an opportunity to get as hard a ride as I wanted. No hiding in the draft of others. No talking. No lolly-gagging. No shifting either since I took the fixed gear. Just me against the road and the elements. The winds were not strong but I had a definite headwind all the way to Maeystown.

The Rams were playing at noon and that meant I had to keep the pace up if I wanted to be back in three hours and miss only a little of the game. I didn't go all the way into Maeystown. I stopped at the Gateway FS feed(?) store a a couple miles west of town. I made it to the turn-around point at 10:42. One hour-thirty two minutes for the halfway point about 27 or 28 miles. Time was short so I ate half a Powerbar and couple sips of water and began the trip back at 10:45. I knew there would be a tailwind of some degree for virtually all but the last few stretches of road. Getting back by noon, however, would be a real effort.

My time checks were looking promising but I didn't completely trust my on-the-go math. The hammer had to stay down. Halfway back my legs were getting heavier but I knew I was riding well and just had to push on. Besides, there were some dark clouds rolling in. Those last couple stretches of road that turned back south were tough. The legs hurt and the wind seemed much stronger. My time was going to fall just short of getting back by noon but there was plenty of inspiration to finish off the last mile or two. At 12:03 I rolled into the parking lot. A return trip of 1hr 18min. Fourteen minutes faster than the first half. That's a time I'm really happy with considering I only had a 42x14

My legs are stiff this afternoon. They worked today, no doubt. As the weeks wear on I'll more speed work but this ride today tells me my fitness and strength are good.

News Item of the Day: While I was away from the blogosphere for a few days. Nine riders in the Tour of Guatemala tested positive for drugs including the top 3 places. Oy vey! I'm going to have to check the timing of this but I think this happened in 2004. I thought my drug-using cyclist count was going to get off to a roaring start this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home