Sunday, January 30, 2005

The TTT was a success today and had a good turnout of 40+ riders. My team did so-so and finished with a time of 1:04.40. The second lap was around 30 minutes so our second lap was considerably quicker. I was never very stressed but I still worked. Maybe it was the warm car but I was really tired on the drive home. I swerved around so much other drivers probably felt I was drunk. I should have pulled over for five minutes but I'm stubborn.

Etape du Tour: After the Marie Blanque we tackle the stage's Hors Categorie climb, the Col d'Aubisque. The base of the Aubisque will put the riders just over halfway through the stage and put you face to face with 16.5 kilometers of climbing that will have me looking for the finish line. The second half of the climb looks a good bit tougher than the first just to make it interesting. At the summit 68 miles complete, 43 miles to the finish

Background: In '94, a year after joining the Rockits, I took advantage of the team deal and purchased a Trek 2300. Unlike the 2300 of today, the early 2300's were a composite. The fork, rear triangle and lug points were all aluminum and the top tube, seat tube and down tube were aluminum. The Trek was a good solid bike that even got pushed into cyclocross use during my early 'cross years. It still sits in the garage awaiting usage of some sort. Maybe a TT bike?

A sign of the continuing advancement in bike technology during the time was that 14 speeds were now the rule. Shifting had also already been integrated with the braking system rather than being placed on the downtubes.

News Item of the Day: A picture is worth a thousand words.

Viewpoint: Top American at the Worlds was Anne Knapp, 7th place. In the Elite Men, Jonathon Page finished 14th and Ryan Trebon, 15h. Respectable finishes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

The background stuff is really interesting Jim, keep it up. I am interested to hear when and how you made it to cat 3.

I've been thinking about floating the idea of another TTT in a couple of weeks on Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Since the Sunday morning one is solidly entrenched and I will probably never be able to do it, I thought a 2nd one might be useful. What do you think?

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home