Thursday, March 17, 2005

Nice day today. If I was ambitious, Perhaps I could have gotten in a decent ride after work but I got interested in watching the MLB steroid hearings in Congress. Mark McGwire gave a textbook lesson in acting guilty because of his refusal to answer questions.

After dinner, there was too little light to get in a real good ride but the temperature was still relatively warm so instead of riding in the spare room I set the trainer up in the garage and watched the cars go by. I didnt much feel like doing intervals or sprints so instead I worked on strength and form. After five minutes of warm up I settled into the 53x19 for 10 minutes. Every 10 minutes after than I went another gear lower on the rear cassette. While trying to maintain good pace I specifically tried to maintain a nice, smooth, powerful pedal stroke. For the most part I was satisfied with my efforts. While not doing interval type work I worked hard as evidenced by the good puddle of sweat left beneath me.

News Item of the Day: World champion Oscar Freire will be starting at this year's Milano-Sanremo wearing the white jersey of the leading ProTour rider instead of his rainbow colours, the UCI announced on Thursday. According to the current regulations, the ProTour jersey has the priority over the rainbow jersey, but this is about to change. Adopted before the Cyclo-Cross World Championships in St.Wendel, Germany, at the end of January, a new guideline giving the World Champion the right to wear the jersey even if he's leading the ProTour is scheduled to become official before the Tour of Flanders on April 3.

"The director's committee has asked us to find a quick solution to protect the rainbow jersey's symbol," said Vittorio Adorni, chairman of the professional cycling council CCP. "The rule will change, but Freire will have to wear the UCI ProTour jersey at Milano-Sanremo." Adorni also said the CCP will a meeting in Brussels on April 11 to discuss the ProTour calendar of 2006.

The World Champion himself, meanwhile, is reported to have preferred the rainbow jersey. "The rainbow jersey is more important and has a great tradition," Oscar Freire said. "The ProTour jersey is new and a lot of people don't even know it."

Viewpoint: Oscar Freire is in the right. He should be able to wear the WC jersey. Thankfully the rule is changing. Besides if the ProTour jersey is white then it fits perfectly fine with the white WC jersey. Just slap a ProTour logo on the jersey in addition to the rainbow stripes and all is good.

Yesterday I picked Freire, Boonen, Hondo for M-SR Sunday. I did some research at work today and will swap Hondo for Fabrizio Guidi who had a real nice Tirreno-Adriatico. Other top contenders Petacchi, you can't rule out Zabel despite his lack of form, Valverde and Bettini. And you can just about bet on Hincapie, Zberg and Trenti to finish in the low to mid teens.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

I am going to focus on doing big gear stuff the next few weeks and see if it can help my ME ability some. Maybe it should be called Moser training since I understand that he used to do big gear stuff into a head wind all the time. And I know Justin does it a lot so there must be something to it. That kid can just crank it all day as he proved at the crit at Sylvan Park.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home