Sunday, May 29, 2005

Rode for about 3 hrs Saturday down through High Ridge, Rock Creek, Old Lemay, Four Ridge and back home. Attendance was light as a new rider, Kyle from Indiana U, showed up and that was it. At Rock Creek and Old 21 I saw Joe at the gas station and we pulled in. Kyle and I left 8:15 and Joe said he pulled in at 8:18. Right on time as usual. He took a guess as to which way we went and he took the wrong way but it turned out since we crossed paths.

I rode okay but I'm sluggish in the hills. My technique is off and feel like I'm muscling my way over hills. I rode okay but sickness and injury has set me back several notches. I need to build back my fitness. Next weekend is Rolla. I'm not doing the crit but plan to do the RR on Sunday. I'm thinking that might be my last race, except for the weekly Worlds, before I leave next month.

News Item of the Day: MILAN, Italy (AP) — Paolo Savoldelli won his second Giro d'Italia title Sunday following two years of injuries and health problems that almost ended his career. The Italian, who rides for Lance Armstrong's Discovery Channel team, captured the most significant cycling race after the Tour de France. Armstrong, who will be going for a seventh straight Tour title this summer, has never competed in the Giro. "Being a Giro champion makes no difference," Savoldelli said. "I'll support Lance in France because he's the strongest."

Savoldelli, who also won the 2002 Giro, wore the overall leader's pink jersey for the last eight stages of the 20-stage race. In the last one, in keeping with tradition, the leader pedaled to the finish line unchallenged. Savoldelli completed the 2,147-mile race 28 seconds ahead of Gilberto Simoni, a Giro winner in 2001 and 2003 who finished sixth. Venezuelan climber Jose Rujano Guillen was third, 45 seconds back. "My secret was to stay tranquil in the most difficult moments when I was under attack in the mountains and I slipped behind," Savoldelli said. "I knew I could fight back later on. I believe I have proven my value in an otherwise unlucky career." During the past two seasons, Savoldelli broke his leg in a crash and was weakened by various viruses. After he recuperated, he injured himself again in a crash this year while training with the Discovery Channel team.

Alessandro Petacchi won the final stage, edging Erik Zabel in a group sprint in downtown Milan. Petacchi won four stages in this race, the last one a 74-mile mostly flat course from Albese con Cassano to Milan that he covered in 3 hours, 29 minutes, 35 seconds.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which Joe did you run into at the gas station? Joe Hill or Joe Fuller?

6:05 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Fuller

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home