Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I got to thinking yesterday and today that I have done virtually no training of any intensity for basically 2-3 months. In May I started doing longer rides in prep for my trip. Then I hurt my knee. Once I started healing I started to build the miles up again and did the Rolla RR. Then I hurt the knee again. After a week off, I started packing on the miles again with covered bridge rides and stopped racing for fear of an accident. Then it was a week in France with some hard riding because of the terrain but not necessarily intense riding.

With the State Crit a week and a half away and the remainder of the season being crits I am in desperate need of intensity. Sprints, intervals, whatever. Tonight I embarked on my double secret, probationary training for the upcoming month. Can you say rusty? My body screamed it. Still, after some efforts the legs and arms and lungs started find some semblance of a rhythm. Provided I keep the ambition my fitness should come around reasonably quick.

Trip Report: I didn't get a chance to write much while in France so I'll be jotting down some thoughts.

Our base in preparation for L'Etape du Tour was the town of Lourdes. Lourdes is home to probably more Catholic kitsch being sold per square foot than any other place on the globe. We stayed there for a few days last year as well so I was prepared the scene. This year we were a few blocks away from where we stayed last year so the the numbers of aged and infirmed was reduced dramatically. In fact, we stayed in the same hotel the US Postal stayed last year so that was kind of cool.

Lourdes is pretty town.

At least the older part where we were.

Many of the towns in France have an older and newer part of town. The older parts are full of the old world charm you think of little european towns being.
But, like the States, on the outskirts of town you come to the more modern, drab, pre-fab building, outskirts of town. We were in the older part of town. Lourdes is also a great home base for cycling. Within a days riding you have climbs like the Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, Hautacam, Aspin, Soulor, Aubisque, Spandelles and Couraduque. You can't ask for much better than that.

On the first day we took things easy. We built up our bikes and rode down a bike path with hills on both sides. It was a pretty ride of about 25 miles and on the way back we climbed the smallish Col de Bescuns SW of Lourdes.
I think everyone was happy to be back on the bikes and we pushed a pretty good pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home