Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Hopped back on the bike tonight after a couple days off. The temperatures eased off a few degrees but it was still plenty humid. Tonight I went back to the Meramec Bottom and Suson route. In and out of Suson 5x's. Although, I think I may have lost count and did it six times. But, so as not to inflate my work, I will stick to the 5 reps. Ride time was roughly 1:15. If nothing else, I felt aggressive tonight. In recent weeks my ambition had been at a low ebb. There was no drive. As my hold HS Physics teacher Mr. Blecha would have said, I was "feeling logy" He is the only person I know that ever used the word logy. He was an interesting dude to say the least. A chiropractor teaching physics, armed with a quirky sense of humor. While I was a stunningly average physics student I came a way with the word logy in my vocubalary and a mental chuckle when the words walnut or monkey are mentioned. But, I digress. Tonight I rode with some passion and the desire to push myself. It felt good.

News Item of the Day: Jan Ullrich may well be happily in love once again - dating the sister of team-mate Tobias Steinhauser - but there seems to be no love lost within the T-Mobile ranks ahead of Saturday's Tour start. Bild reports that both Andreas Klöden and the snubbed Erik Zabel have had a pop at their team leader.

Ullrich, 31, separated from his long-term girlfriend, and mother of their two-year old child Sarah, Gaby Weiss, back in May this year. But German tabloid Bild announced on Monday that the five-time Tour runner-up had found new love in the arms of pal Steinhauser's sister, Sara. But while Ulle trains hard for July's headline event, calm in the knowledge that his blond filly Sara will be there to nurse his thighs and massage his back after a hard day in the saddle, team-mates Klöden and Zabel are less than impressed.

Klöden, who stole Ullrich's unenviable crown of Lance Armstrong's perennial runner-up by finishing second in 2004, raced in last Sunday's national championships. While Jan Ullrich opted out of putting in an appearance in a bid to hone his Tour de France preparations, it was thought that the 30-year-old Klöden was in favour of defending his national crown.

But Bild reported on Tuesday that the out-of-form Klöden was not "amused" as being "compelled" to ride the national championships, whereas Ullrich was given time off, presumably to cavort with new love Sara. "I asked to be released too. I would have loved to stay away from this championship," Klödie moaned. "Other people were allowed to". Klöden rode the 204 km race in Mannheim with little conviction, coming home in 57th place, 38 seconds off the pace.

Meanwhile, veteran sprinter Erik Zabel, who lost his place in the T-Mobile Tour line-up in a bid to strengthen Ullrich's assault on Armstrong's Tour hegemony, seemingly still holds a few sour grapes about his exclusion. "I wouldn't have prevented him from winning," vouched six-time green jersey winner Zabel. "When I become second or third it is a loss, yet other people are celebrated for that." Ouch!

Zabel's room-mate Rolf Aldag - also not included in T-Mobile's final nine - has joined the fray, claiming: "I would have left it up to a champion like Erik to decide whether he wanted to start or not."

Viewpoint: Tune in again next week for the next edition of "The Young and the Restless German Cyclists"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home