Thursday, July 27, 2006

A week ago the power went from the big storm that rumbled through town. Seventy-two hours later power was restored. Since then I have not gotten around to writing anything. Not because there is nothing to write about. I have been lazy. There is no point in dodging the fact.

I could write about the downs, ups and downs again of Floyd Landis but I don't have the desire. Until a more definitive ruling is made there is no point in saying anything more than last Wednesday and Thursday were some of the most interesting racing in years in terms of drama.

Saturday was the semi-new National Guard Circuit Race just east of Jefferson City. I say semi-new because we had a race there about 8 yrs ago. This is normally a practice driving course so the road is completely closed to traffic and consisted of a gradual downhill turn which continued to descend slowly on a straighter section of road. Another sweeping bend to the right and then up a slightly steeper uphill with a few bends and turns before leveling off again up top. The course is fun and offers opportunities for breaks as evidenced by a Cat 4 break sticking to the finish. When does that happen?

The 3's field was small. Only 21 riders but it was a good mix that seemed evenly divided between STL and KC riders. Only Joe and I showed up for the Sharks. As you can imagine, with only 21 riders, no team had more than 2 riders that I recall. Some team may have had three. The two of us had agreed to not chase any breaks and see how the race played out. We didn't stick to that plan though. Joe was riding well and covered breaks and sat up front for much of the race. I was more true to our pre-race strategy but still jumped into a couple smallish breaks.

When the last lap came it was Joe was up front setting the early pace up the hill before the attacks started. I was sitting about 18th and biding my time with the feeling that people were going to explode in the final parts of the hill and deceptively long finish up top. Halfway up the hill and Joe was spent while I followed wheels and began picking off a few riders. By the top of the hill I was 12th or 13th and it was down to a sprint. Looking back, I probably should have went for the line earlier and also probably should have gotten out of the saddle for a true sprint but I still had good speed. A few more riders did pop and I snagged 10th. Not great but it brought home the big $5 winnings.

A few other musings:

The lightning after most of Wednesday's storm had passed was the most impressive I have ever seen. Every couple seconds more lightning shot across the sky. Not just those single bolts, either. The strikes fanned out across the sky. I tried and tried and tried to get a good picture. Despite all the lightning, I somehow was unable to get anything more than black sky.

Milk gets REALLY lumpy after three days in the fridge without power.

Miss Cracker Barrel Hostess... you are very cute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home