Sunday, July 22, 2007

Saturday's ride was absolutely glorious. Half of it at least. We rolled out of the parking lot with temps in the low 60's and not a cloud in the sky. We rode between fabulous 8ft tall corn, explored some new roads that we had never chosen before. Steppig had a short, nasty little kick in it. Andy Rd was a freshly paved piece of heaven. And, Deer Hill which we had been on a couple times was good. Maybe it was the newness of the route but I thought the trip down to Maeystown was great, minus a smal amount little loose gravel toward the end.

After stopping in Maeystown, the return trip was less fun. My legs were tighter than a drum. Out of the saddle my entire thighs would contract. Not a cramp really but very tight. I'm surprised they didnt go into a full-on cramp. The I missed our turn somehow. I'm still not sure how but we did. We got back on track but Patrice needed to be getting back to Columbia by noon. We stuck to the flats on the way back.

Thats fine but there is a good sized section of B Rd that was newly gravelled. Giuseppe flatted about halfway through. Marco and I waited, only to start riding again and realize my rear tire was going flat.

I came home and watched Stage 13 TT of the Tour. Thoughts:
Michael "powered by Biopure" Rasmussen did quite good.
Valverde should do better than that.
Moreau has mentally quit the Tour.
Levi continues his move up the GC by doing nothing. He has a sub-par TT and moves into the top 5. His war of attrition will not take him any higher unless he makes something happen. Unfortunately for him his teammate Contador is a minute ahead of him and truly is an attacker. Levi will have to attack before Contador and make it stick. I have a hard time seeing that happen.
Contador is fun to watch and I look forward to the Pyrenees.
Evans did great.
That leaves Astana. Look at their roster and you know they have a strong tream. Still, having three of the top four TT finishers raises my eyebrows. Especially when 3rd and 4th both had crashes. They possibly could have swept the top three. Call me cynical but I just do not trust that team. There are probably a lot of dirty riders still but I feel dirtiest when seeing them perform. They are a diabolical combination of Liberty Seguros and T-Mobile and when you see a performance like that from Vinokourov I can't help but wonder

Today's stage should be fun. Plateau de Beille is always packed with crazy Basque fans and is usually causes some nice time gaps. Go Contador! Light up the race. I will ignore your equally diabolical combination of Liberty Seguros and Discovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home