Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It appears a portion of Pez's speculated Tour route was wrong. Latest rumors are that the Stage starting in Cuneo will not end at Sestriere and thus not include the Colle de Finestre. No shock, really. Instead the race will cross back into France with a stage using some uncommon mountains, the Col de la Lombarde, Isola 2000 and the Col de la Bonette which I believe is the highest paved road in France, before dropping down to the town of Jausiers

That would leave only one (I think) Alpine stage for L'Etape, the Embrun to Alpe d'Huez stage which will likely be very similar to the Gap - Alpe d'Huez stage in '06. I have a hard time imagining L'Etape doing such a similar stage so close to a previous edition.

There are rumors that L'Etape will be in the Pyrenees. That would break tradition of having the race in the opposite mountain range a week before the pros pass through. I suppose they could have L'Etape later than usual while the actual race in the Alps.

Also, the Digne le Bains - Cuneo stage is expected to finish atop a mountain near Cuneo. I count three mountaintop finishes total.

My wish that the race climb the Tourmalet before Hautacam appears to be true. The question is will they do it the boring way by going north around Lourdes and only climb the Tourmalet before Hautacam, or take my advice and climb the Soulor, then Tourmalet with a counter-clockwise loop back around to Hautacam.

I guess all will be answered Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home