Monday, January 14, 2008

This weekend's rides were completely different. They were the yin and yang, the alpha and the omega, black and white and any other incorrectly used metaphor you choose.

Saturday was chilly but turned into a sunny, warmer than expected ride with nine of us zipping through IL. It was a day that I found quite enjoyable to be riding.

Sunday was gray, windy, and cold with a few snow flurries. Hard to imagine but only two of us showed up on such a lovely day and neither of us were terribly excited about being on the bike. My ambitions were low after battling the biting wind on my ride out to MIT. I think Giuseppe was more than comfortable sitting in his 'canuck' (car/van/truck). What exactly is a Honda Element? It would probably classified a van.

Regardless, we eventually hit the road and made up a ride as we went. Instead of going south, we switched things up a bit and went north and west through Des Peres, Town & Country and Valley Park before doing a quick out and back to Lone Elk and then returning to MIT.

It was not the most spectacular ride but at least we rode. There were only two other fools that we saw out riding.

For the weekend, I put in right about 100 miles. Not so bad. Later in the afternoon, I went ice skating. That makes up for a little shorter ride, doesn't it?

I hadn't skated in... I don't remember how long. As a result I had the pleasure of skate rental. I don't recall skates behaving like the pair that was granted me. It's been a long time but I dont remember skates behaving the way mine did. Skates are supposed to grip the ice, aren't they. I would push off and there was hardly any traction. When I attempted to turn the skates would have a sideways drift in addition to the usual forward motion. The skates must not have been sharp. As time went on, I seemed get slightly more comfortable and compensated for the drifting motion but nobody would have confused me with Sergei Fedorov.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home