Friday, January 18, 2008

Tuesday's Spinning class was better than last week. I didn't mention last week but got on a bike whose left Look pedal had an unbelievably low release tension. The front desk had some hex wrenches but none of them fit the pedal tension screw. All the other Look bikes were occupied so I tried to make do with the hand that was dealt.

After pulling out of the pedal a couple times, Giuseppe pointed out a Look compatible bike that I had missed. The pedals had the strap attachments for riding in tennis shoes. I was able to get one of them twisted off but not the other. Just my luck that the pedal I would have liked to be loose was tight.

After wrestling with that for a couple minutes, I went back to the original bike. It sucked big. I felt rather secure while out of the saddle but I must have pulled out of the pedal another 3 or 4 times that night while in the saddle. I figured I was going to hurt myself if that kept up and decided to settle into a moderate effort.

Fast forward to this week. Different bike, not that much different result. This week it was the right side pedal and it was not AS bad but again I pulled 2 or 3 times. Very frustrating. Next week I am bringing my own hex wrenches to tighten the pedal. I should just bring my own pedals.

Thursday was a quick and dirty trainer ride with some 5 minute intervals. I feel satisfied with the effort. I did the efforts on the TT bars as a little bit of practice in that general position. This year I plan on making a return visit to the State TT for the first time since '02. Is that right? Damn, it doesn't seem that long ago.

Unlike my past efforts, I want to work toward a strong showing. My other two attempts consisted of screwing on some clip-on aerobars and going for a 40k effort. Each time, I clocked a bit over an hour (around 1:01).

This year when my new frame comes in and the bike gets built up I will convert the current frame into a TT bike. Is it an ideal TT frame? No, but it will work fine and with new aero wheels, a proper helmet plus bars and I SHOULD be faster than in the past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home