Thursday, March 06, 2008

A few weeks ago I could not wait to be able to get on the bike and ride.  Now that I am relatively well I seem to be lacking in motivation.  While at work I make plans to ride but when I get home I am tired enough that I just want to lay around.  I need to change some sleeping habits or maybe take my freaking skirt off and just get on the bike.
 
On the local message board there a post about an unsanctioned ride/race in Portland that is supposed to pay homage to the Tour of Flanders.  The Portland ride is about 45 miles with a bunch of hills.  It sounds fun and definitely challenging.  But, if you want a scary glimpse into my mind, there was something about the name they chose that bothered me. 
 
I could not quite put a finger on the problem until last night.  They named the "race" De Ronde van Oeste Portlandia.  The name is a cute and catchy take off on the real race's name.  The Portlandia name is supposed to sound something like the Flandria region of Belgium, I guess.  What was bothering me about the name?  Flandria is the French name for Flanders and few Dutch speaking Flemish people would call their region of Belgium as Flandria.  Also, 'oeste' is the French word for west.  The Dutch word for west is... west.  If the organizers want to more accurately name the race it should be something like De Ronde van West Portlaanderen.


Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home