Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My meteorologic senses were on target tonight. The five o'clock showed no rain anywhere nearby but when I looked at the sky, the sky seemed to say that it would rain. Trusting my senses, I chose not to attend the Tues Nite Worlds. To be perfectly honest, I was probably going to blow off tonight's race anyway. Here lately I have no ambition to race on Tuesday nights. Rain, or the threat of rain, has proven to be a handy excuse lately. Maybe I am just bored with these races or maybe it is the start of my fade into retirement. I still like to race and look forward to this weekend so boredom is the most likely reason for skipping Tuesdays.

Regardless of the reason, I jumped on the trainer and got in a good workout. Just as I was winding down about about 6:35, little pieces of hail began to fall from the sky and within a few minutes we had a full on downpour. The rain and hail made my decision to not race seem worthwhile. I still got a good workout and stayed dry as a bonus.
--------
Giro Stage 4

What an odd finale to today's stage. Milram had everything lined up and, thanks to a big crash, the number of competitors were whittled down to a select 10 or so riders. Despite having three riders lined up ahead of Zabel on last wheel, Milram's leadout just looked sluggish. Everything was set up and the sprint went pppfffftttt like a leaky balloon. Zabel never even had the chance to have his leadout man pull off. Everyone was comfortably sitting until the right moment when Bennati jumped for the line. Despite his best efforts he was no match for Cavendish who blew by him rather easily. Cavendish has proven to be a very impressive sprinter this year. Much like McEwen, he has a very quick and sudden turn of speed and takes wins in fine fashion. He has a big future it seems.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home