Monday, August 04, 2008

Friday night I got the idea in my head that I would finally take a spin on the Zipp tubulars that have been sitting in the basement collecting dust.  I pulled the cassette of the disk wheel and slid it onto the Zipp.  That's when I realized the brake pads were still needing to be replaced.  The bike was already loaded up in the car and I was too damn lazy to pull it out.  Instead I just reached in the car and swapped out the front brakes and would deal with the rear in the morning.  I showed up in Columbia earlier than normal so I could get the rear pads installed.  Remarkably, everything went as planned and I didn't really delay the start of the ride.  Somehow, my crazy saddle was all jacked up again.  The nose was pointed up and it had slid as far back as possible.  Once that was corrected, everything went well.  My glue job survived its first ride.  I pumped the tires up to the typical 120 lbs that I use.  My impression of the ride quality is that it was a very smooth.  I always tended to poo-poo comments about how much nicer a tubular wheel/tire was but these really did feel good.  I would never say I rode faster.  Anyone on the ride would tell you that was not the case.  But, it definitely seemed like a more plush ride. 

Last week I had already decided to skip Sunday's State Crit.  I have no doubt that I made the right decision.  Still, about 10am Sunday, the feeling washed over me that something was missing.  That I should made the trip anyway.  My mind was saying "If you leave now you can still get to Jeff City in time."  I felt a little under the weather all day anyway so I don't know what good it would have done to try and race. 
 
While I didn't race, I was not a total slug.  My initial plans were for a ride to JB but at the last minute I chose to take the cross bike up to school and do some laps.  Like every year, getting on the cross bike is a shock to the system.  Nothing makes you feel slower than getting on a bike with fat tires inflated to 40psi after several months of exclusively riding on the road.  My workout was far from spectacular but it was good to get some laps under my belt.  The grass is still thick and the early morning rain had left the soil soft in places and like a bog in others.  That's my excuse for going so slowly.  I didn't ride for a long time but plowing along in the grass was a decent power workout and constantly accelerating out of the turns should help with recovery after efforts.
----------------------
What was in people's breakfast this morning?  The drive to work seemed much more hectic than normal.  Everyone was speeding.  That doesn't bother me so much.  After all, I usually cruise along about 5mph above the limit.  This morning though, folks were weaving between the lanes and generally making asses of themselves.  That behavior is probably my biggest pet peeve on the highway.  Even more annoying is when the vehicle is a big pickup or SUV.  I don't know why it bothers me more than a car weaving in and out.  Maybe I just feel those big vehicles are less maneuverable to begin with and should not be driven like a Porsche at Le Mans.


Get more from your digital life. Find out how.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home