Sunday, November 30, 2008

You know the old saying about the word assume. Yesterday, I assumed somebody else would show up in Columbia. Giuseppe made it know he would not be there but I don't know where the others were. Patrice may have been in Champaign for the holiday weekend. The weather was chilly and skies were not friendly but never threatening rain.

When no one showed up by quarter after I set out on my own ride. I took the solo time as an opportunity to set my own pace and route. I stayed on the flats down to Valmeyer and back. Nothing special. The sun did peek out for about 15 minutes in the Valmeyer area and provided some terrific lighting for photographs. But, I did not bring a camera so you will have to take my word.

I kept the ride shorter with the thought of checking out Columbia City Park. For a couple years I have ridden by the park and thought it looked like it could be an interesting place for a cross race. The park did not disappoint. There is a little bit of everything. The land offers a nice mix of flatter ground and a healthy amount rolling hills.

Among its features are:

A sandpit
A few trail-like sections in semi-wooded areas. These 'trails' are not single track.
A steep hill with stairs to run or just use the hill if you dont want to use the stairs.
A low-lying area that runs alongside a small creek.
A couple of other hills are rideable but if you approach the hill too slowly or are tired I could see where you might have to run.

It's a course where you might have to make decisions whether to run or ride.

My mind was racing at the possibilities as I rode around the park, mentally designing a course in my head. I wonder how receptive the city would be to a race?
-------------

Today's race at Queeny could be a little messy. We had light covering of snow overnight. That snow won't last once we start racing over it but it might soften the ground a bit. Queeny Park seems like a park that would drain well so I don't see much of an issue. There might be a slick spot or two.
--------------

The pro field riders in Europe are exchanging a few words. Erwin Vervecken won the World Cup race in Koksijde and his Fidea team took four of the top five spots. Nys was the only non-Fidea rider and finished second. If you were to read Cyclingnews you would think everything is rosey in the cross world. Bart Wellens, however, was not happy.

Wellens was happy for his teammate but said he was not the strongest. He claimed that Nys did not want him to win. Wellens was particularly upset that Nys took a very short pull on the pavement after Wellens had been in the lead for a full lap. Wellens said Nys told him he could not go. Two of Wellens teammates were slightly ahead and Wellens felt it was not his place to chase them. Nys eventually did chase the two Fidea riders down. Wellens said Nys purposely risked finishing third or fourth just to keep Wellens from possibly winning.

Wellens claimed "I'm the only one who broke open the race, really. Either I have bad luck or this happens. I think it unsportsmanlike. There is still an account open. I will answer Nys one day with my pedals."

Then there is Nys' viewpoint. "I have no problem with Erwin Vervecken to win this race," responded Sven Nys. "Erwin and I were the best men in the race. I think it is nice that Fidea have played the game fair. They each had a try at breaking away." The funny thing is that, despite the loss, I had maybe my best race of the season. My attacks were sharp, my explosion was good

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home