Sunday, July 05, 2009

My Tour picks

In the lead up to the Tour I had a few people ask me what my picks for the race were going to be. Typically, I leave the picks to the single day races and just sit back and watch the Grand Tours. But, since it was requested here are my picks. I will give two lists. The first will be my straight forward, who is going to win picks. The second will be the usual limitation I put on myself of choosing people that have not finished in the top 10 in the past five years.

I made these choices prior to the race starting but it has taken me a while to get around to posting my thoughts.

Without further adieu.

1) Contador - very good time trialist and can climb like the wind. Even if he is behind a little when the Ventoux stage rolls around on Stage 20, I would hate to be the guy that is ahead of Contador. It will be relentless attack after relentless attack.
2) Armstrong - yes, I think this is a little crazy but for some reason I have an odd feeling he can pull something out of the hat. Besides, I'm a sucker for a good comeback story
3) Evans - Solid all around rider. No real weaknesses. Just lacking a little for the win.

I want to pick Andy Schleck but think he will fall just short of the podium because of his time trials.

Now for my previously non-top 10 picks in no particular order

Robert Gesink - Very good climber. Even though Menchov won the Giro in dominating fashion, he never seems to put it together in July. That leaves Gesink in prime position to take over leadership unless he wants to, as Rasmussen put it, "drag Menchov's ass around the mountains"
Roman Kreuziger - Good young climber. He's won the Tour de Suisse last year. He will keep getting better.
Linus Gerdemann - I really don't know why I am picking this guy. I hate his guts and think, in general, that he is highly overrated.

Since I don't like Gerdemann I have decided to to pick a fourth rider and choose Luis Leon Sanchez in the hopes that he kicks Linus' arse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home