Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Team photos

This is the time of year when teams start to release various team and sponsorship photos. Team photos can be interesting at times but what I have found in recent years is that some of the sponsorship photos are borderline frightening.

It is bad enough that the guys are posing in their kits, but photographers often put the riders in odd, even bizarre, situations. And, dare I say, not the most manly of situations... not that there is anything wrong with that.

This most recently came to light with the recent release of QuickStep team photos. QuickStep's secondary team sponsor is Innergetic, a mattress and pillow company. As you can imagine, a mattress and pillow sponsor can result in some unfortunate photos.

When I hear the name Tom Boonen I would prefer to think of a tough guy. He's been a bunch sprinting, coke snorting, cobble riding strongman for close to 10 years. Is cuddling up with a pillow any way to showcase Boonen?


Even worse, Boonen's "soft" side has spread throughout the rest of the team. Does QuickStep have a "Dont ask, dont tell" policy?


QuickStep's pillow photos are bad enough but I sure as hell hope there is a good explanation for the Italian Colnago-CSF Inox team making three of their rider's carry a giant sausage.


More to come, I'm sure. I will be looking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home