Monday, February 21, 2011

Less than a week...

We are less than a week from the start of the road season in MO. This coming Sunday is Froze Toes, the traditional kick-off to the season. A training road race with big fields and lots of ambition in the hearts and minds of the entrants on a one lane roads. The race is both exhilirating because it is the start of the season and frustrating because of the nature of the racing.

I raced Masters last year and found the racing entertaining. Far better than the Cat 3/4 cluster-bleep that happens almost every year. Once in a while, that race will generate some goodness, but not often. I was fortunate enough a few years ago to initiate the decisive move and and create a breakaway of two riders. I was, of course, the second place rider but it was nice to not have to deal with the argie-bargie of 70 people charging toward the finish.

I have the usual uncertainty heading in to the season. Generally, I hold good form through winter because of my cyclocross racing. This year, my last race New Years Eve. So, my off-season has been "off" in the slightest sense.

A few weeks, I was feeling really good and hammering up hills in the big ring out of necessity (because my bike didn't shift in cold temps). The last few weeks have been a down period. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad. Strong last Saturday, then sucking eggs on Sunday.

This weekend, I was somewhat off the pace early in the ride on Saturday. Then, on Sunday, stronger at the end of the ride on Sunday. Who knows what this weekend will bring. If things go well, and my back isn't acting up, Sunday could be an okay race.

Let's get this season underway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home