Friday, January 21, 2011

Did I miss something

Argentina's Tour de San Luis, not to be confused with the Tour of Saint Louis, is currently taking place. I'm sure the Tour de San Luis is a fine race but currently it is mostly getting headlines for being the first Pro race in a long time to not have race radios.

The riders from Liquigas, Movistar and Ag2r staged a lame protest by wearing their radios to the rider sign-in then promptly removed them before the race. Ooooh, that will teach the UCI a lesson.

Maybe I have missed some news but I have heard of no major mishaps or crashes during this race. That hasn't stopped Gianni Bugno, head of the CPA, to fire off a letter to the UCI complaining about the riders safety in this not-so-sternly written letter



Dear Mr President,

Since you told me that you would like to discuss with me the problems I see in the cycling movement I have decided to write to you this letter concerning the new earphones UCI rules.

I’m at the Tour de San Luis now where I had the chance to see every day the effect of the new regulation during the race.

I have seen with my eyes that every day the racers are in serious danger because they are not previously advised about obstacles, accidents and problems, etc. that may occur on the road.

The sanctions of the new UCI disposals can obstruct the development of the race, damaging the interests of sponsors and organisations, especially in those countries where we want the growth of cycling.

For all these reasons I’m asking you for a meeting between UCI and all the International Associations (CPA, ADISPRO, AIGCP, AIOCC) so that we may all explain to UCI our different point of view and – maybe -find a better solution.

Mr. President I really hope you will understand my point of view and that you will consider this letter as the beginning of a good collaboration between us about these important issues in the cycling movement. The racers security is very important and a part of this movement that we should all try to continue to improve.

Gianni Bugno

Curiously absent from this letter is any detail of these "serious dangers". I can only presume Mr. Bugno is referring to the riders having to think on their own and being able to understand race tactics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home