Thursday, April 28, 2011

A turkey in Turkey

I just turned on Stage 5 of the Tour of Turkey. Since I watching at work, I do not have sound on. What the bleep is going on.

I tuned in with 14 km to and a ten man break had 8:45 lead. Four km later, another minute had been added. Has the entire peloton quit, figuring the overall is lost? With seven km to go, the lead had grown to 11 minutes.

Watching the time gap go up was like watching a stop watch. The time was growing, second by second.

Crazy stuff? How did they get this huge lead? This is probably a radio-free race. Was that an issue? Very strange.

Five km - 11:35 lead

Three km - 11:57

Two km - 12:21

One km - 12:25

Finsih - 11:55

After considering who was in the break, I kind of understand what happened. Most, if not all, the ProTour teams had someone in the break. Race leader NetApp was unwilling or unable to do all the work to keep the break close and maybe the other smaller teams were in the same situation. The big teams probably controlled the pack and the gap grew. I will have to read the race report later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home