Saturday, April 16, 2011

Amstel Gold

I've been completely out of the loop. Last weekend I got smacked around at the Hermann Omnium. After being humiliated on Sunday, I learned of some family health issues and spent much of the past week either at work or the hospital.

Training did not happen until this morning when I rode an hour on the trainer. The health issues are improving and I am planning on doing the Delmarvelous Crit tomorrow. I'm racing Master's since it is earlier and will allow me to get to the hospital earlier.

All that having been said, I gave my Amstel Gold picks very little thought. I, just now at 9:30pm on Saturday, glanced at the start lists for about 15 minutes and compared them to past results to make sure I am not picking someone that I don't allow myself to pick.

There is a good track record with two of my picks and I decided to take chance on a youngster for the third.

Fabian Wegmann - This may not be a good pick because I think he will be asked to serve as a domestique for the Schlecks. But, he has had three finishes in the 11-20 places in the past five years.
Samuel Sanchez - Here is another rider that has three 11-20 finishes. Good consistent results are bound to yield a top 10 finish eventually. Right?
Ben Hermans - Ben is my longshot. I have no good reason for picking Hermans. I just think he is a good young rider.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home